South Street Asset Management Limited (DIGS) Privacy Notice
Who are we?
DIGS is a branding platform of South Street Asset Management Limited and is a nationwide operator of student accommodation. We pride ourselves on our professional service and offer students high quality, affordable accommodation coupled with a fantastic student experience that makes living with DIGS more than just renting a room.
Our reputation for professionalism is well known throughout the industry and demonstrated through our work with several institutions, such as major UK universities, as either preferred supplier or by nomination agreements.
Why are we processing your personal data?
With your consent we use your personal data to:
- Process your application for a tenancy
- Allocate a room and make room offers to you
- Provide you with information about other products and offers you may be interested in
It is necessary for us to process your personal data in order to fulfil all aspects of our contract with you:
- To administer your tenancy
- To communicate with you and respond to your requests
It is necessary for us to process your personal data in order to comply with legal obligations
- You have a legal right to rent
- To validate identity information against an authoritative source
- To fulfil our tenancy
- To make reasonable adjustments for disabilities
- To ensure the health, safety and security of tenants, staff and others
It is necessary for us to process your personal data in order to protect your vital interests or those of another
- To protect the vital interests of tenants, staff and others, i.e. in emergencies/life or death
situations where we believe that you or another individual may be at significant risk of harm.
There are also a number of legitimate business purposes for which we process your data:
- To plan, deliver and review our services, events, and facilities
- To provide you with information and updates about the accommodation service
- To carry out a credit check
- To carry out debt recovery
Which Personal Data do we Collect and Use?
In order to provide our services, we need to collect and use your personal data. Below is a list of what this may include.
From our online booking platform:
- Date of Birth
- Contact details
- Student Number
- Course details
- * Disability and medical
- Specific circumstances information
- Your accommodation preferences and the information that you provide about these preferences
When you accept your room offer:
- Bank/card details
- Next of kin
- Guarantor information (name and contact details)
When you arrive at the accommodation:
- * Personal identification
When you accept to be a guarantor:
- Date of Birth
- Contact details
- * Two forms of personal identification
* Denotes information which may contain data classified as sensitive personal data/special categories of personal data under the data protection legislation and as such is subject to a greater level of control and protection.
Who do we share your data with?
You should be aware that in order to provide our services we may need to share your personal or sensitive personal data within the organisation or outside South Street Asset Management Limited (DIGS). The privacy of your personal data is paramount and will not be disclosed unless there is a justified purpose for doing so. We NEVER sell personal data to third parties.
Your data may be shared with:
- Third party suppliers who need the information to provide services or for administrative and student
support purposes, this includes but is not limited to:
|Sodexo||Facilities Management, Support Requests|
|Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited||Insurance|
|Universities / Colleges||Accommodation Services, Welfare|
|Solicitors||Debt Collection Services, Tenancy Administration|
- City council for council tax purposes
- Parents, guardians and other family members only where you have given your consent or in the event of an emergency where the disclosure of personal data is considered in your best interests or pertinent to your safety and well-being
- The police and/or other organisations responsible for safeguarding or investigating a crime where a student may be involved
- Guarantors, if you are a tenant and have failed to pay your rent we may contact your guarantor and inform them of this failure when exercising our rights under the guarantee
The periods for which we keep your information will vary according to the purpose for which we use the information.
Unless there is a specific legal requirement to keep your information, we will not keep it for longer than necessary for the purposes for which the data was collected or for which it is to be further processed.
Data Subject Rights
One of the aims of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is to empower individuals and give them control over their personal data.
The GDPR gives you the following rights:
- The right to be informed
- The right to erasure
- The right to object
- The right of access
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to rectification
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
Please contact the DIGS Data Protection Officer ([email protected]) if you would like to :
- Request copies of your personal data held by us (a subject access request) or discuss your other rights;
- Report a data security breach (e.g. if you think your personal data has been lost or disclosed inappropriately);
- Complain about how we have used your personal data; or, if you have a query about how your data is used by us.
Policy Updated 21/06/2019