Life at University is a whole journey in itself, moving away from home, embracing a new town/city, making new friends and finding yourself. It is all part of the student experience at University.
Benecia, one of our Block Reps at DIGS Storthes Hall Park, our Huddersfield student accommodation gives some advice on settling into University:
- Attend all Fresher’s Week events, especially in the first few days whilst you meeting new friends. DIGS Storthes Hall Park have a dedicated events programme to help you meet people.
- Start conversations with flat mates. An easy way to start a conversation can be to compliment another person – everyone will be looking for new friends in the first few days and will really appreciate it if you can say hello!
- Leave your door open when you first move in – this makes you more approachable so you can get to know your new flat mates.
- Go into the town or city centre of your University, familiarise yourself with student friendly businesses and local transport links so you don’t get lost during Freshers.
- If you are a bit daunted by the thought of going to your first event, just message a Block Rep and they will be more than happy to accompany you!
Benecia’s favourite student spots in Huddersfield
Huddersfield has some great coffee shops surrounding the University. They are great for taking a break during lectures and getting a much needed caffeine fix.
Here are Benecia’s top 3!
New for September 2022, The Venue has its own student coffee lounge. With comfy sofas, study booths and a coffee station, it is great for a change of scenery. You can also grab some food from the bar and kitchen in The Venue if you get a bit peckish.
Coffee Evolution is very popular with students. You can either sit on benches outside in the warm weather, or there is plenty of cosy seating downstairs. It is a great setting to revise and catch up with friends over a drink.
Northern Tea House
Northern Tea House is the perfect brunch spot near The University of Huddersfield. It has locally roasted coffee, an array of speciality teas, pastries, cakes and the most delicious pancakes!