What is Clearing?
Clearing is a process where Universities fill any places they have available on their courses. Clearing happens in August every academic year and gives students the opportunity to find a University course suitable for them. Along with securing a course, students will also arrange student accommodation for their chosen University.
There are many reasons why students go through Clearing. In 2021, over 25,000 students went through Clearing so you’re not alone! The idea of Clearing can be quite daunting, we are here to make that process for you easier when choosing student accommodation at DIGS.
How to prepare for Clearing 2022
Do your research
- Shortlist Universities you would be interested in attending and their Clearing numbers
- Check what courses are available and ask questions about courses leading up to Clearing
- Research student accommodation options before contacting Universities
Prepare your documents
- UCAS ID
- Clearing number
- Passport / ID
- Personal statement
- Details of a Guarantor for student accommodation
- Sign up to receive communications from the Universities you are interested before Results Day
- Stay up to date with announcements from UCAS
- Follow student accommodation providers on social media for updates on Clearing offers
- Be open minded, Clearing is great opportunity to reconsider your career path
- Have confidence within yourself that you are going to end up where you want to be
- Connect with other students going through Clearing, Twitter is a great platform to find fellow students
You are eligible for Clearing if you:
- Haven’t received any offers for University
- Haven’t accepted any of the offers you have received
- Missed out on the grades you were hoping for
- Applied for University after June 30th
University courses that still have space can be found on the UCAS website.
You will know if you are in Clearing if your application status for University says “you are in clearing” or “Clearing has started” on UCAS Track on Thursday August 18th 2022.
When it is the day of A Level Results Day (August 18th 2022), go to UCAS Track and login to see your Clearing status.
Staying calm during Clearing
Beating stress and worry on Results Day is important to ensure you don’t overwhelm yourself. Taking the time during Clearing to make the right University choice for you is key to ensure you don’t feel pressured into making a decision immediately. In addition, a worried mind often makes rash rather than logical decisions!
Furthermore, A Level Results Day will be a different experience for everyone. It can be hard to not compare your results to your peers, focus on yourself and make sure to take all the opportunities Clearing presents you with.
For more support with student wellbeing, click here