If you’re spending Christmas away from home, you’re not alone. December is typically a time with cosy nights around the TV, plenty of mince pies and quality time with those you love. There many ways you can bring Christmas to where you’ll be calling home this festive season.
Here are some ways you can into the Christmas spirit away from home:
- FaceTime or Skype your family and friends. It is home comforts like speaking with those close to you that can really make your day. You can even play virtual games with each other like pictonary and virtual trivia!
Prepare a nice meal
- You don’t have to go all out with the turkey trimmings and roast potatoes for your Christmas Day meal, relax! It can be a selection of “picky bits” (as the British would say). Put your favourite foods all on one plate and enjoy. Finish it off with a refreshment of your choice and some cake or Christmas pudding!
Make your space Christmassy
- Deck your university halls with festive joy to make your room feeling and looking like a Santa’s Grotto. Play all the best Christmas Hits on Spotify and decorate your very own Christmas tree, it can be a small one to complete your festive space! You don’t need to splash cash to make your uni room Christmassy. All the essentials like tinsel can be found in your local supermarket.
Go for a winters morning walk
- Starting your day with fresh air always puts you in a good headspace. Wish those that you stumble upon a Merry Christmas and when return to your space, cook up a nice hearty breakfast to complete your wholesome morning.
Wait to open your gifts
- Just because it isn’t an ordinary Christmas, doesn’t mean you have to open your presents alone! Call a friend and create memories by opening your gifts together. Treat yourself buy yourself something to open, self gifting is self care. If you’re in student accommodation, find other students who will be alone and do a Secret Santa together.
It is completely normal to feel a bit fuzzy this winter. With colder nights and shorter days, feeling home sick and out of routine as a student is natural.
For more advice on how you can celebrate Christmas away from home, click here